Knee injuries can have a major impact on your everyday life. Everything from sport to simple walking involves your knees and any injury can make your daily routine seem like a struggle, whether it be climbing the stairs or even sitting in the car, knee injuries can be debilitating
Here are some quick exercise tips to keeping your knees healthy and of course if you are having issues do not hesitate to contact calgarychiro.com to book an appointment with one of our great staff members, we have many years of experience and offer various techniques to treat common knee issues such as Graston technique, Active Release Techniques, IMS, and rehabilitation exercises.
Now back to those exercises and a quick disclaimer. Please always check with your doctor before partaking in any exercise and if any of the below exercises hurt do not do them. The saying no pain no gain is not to be taken literally 🙂
Exercise 1 – Lunges:
- Stand upright with your hands by your side. You can also use dumbbells by your tinned food cans by your side. With your palms facing your body throughout the movement, lunge forward as far as you can with your right leg, bending your trailing knee so it almost touches the floor.
- Use the heel of your right foot to push your upper body back to the starting position. Do the same again with the opposite (left leg)
Exercise 2 – Squats:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart.
- Slowly sit back as if you were sitting into a chair. Keep your head up, back straight and your glutes (bottom) out.
- Keep lowering yourself until your hips are aligned with your knees. Ensure your knees are not pointing past your feet.
- In one explosive motion push yourself up through your heals until you are back in the starting, upright position.
Exercise 3 – Single Leg Glute Bridge:
- Lie down on your back and raise one leg in the air.
- Push upwards (forward) and raise your hips up off the ground as high as you can go.
- Slowly lower yourself to the floor.